Welcome to the 2021-2022 School Year!
Dear 6th Grade Parents,
Welcome to the 2021-2022 school year! As your SOMS HSA 6th Grade Coordination Team, we will oversee the planning of this year’s 6th grade events. First up is the 6th Grade Ice Cream Social, which will be held outside in the SOMS back parking lot on Friday, September 24th from 6:00-7:30 PM.
In order to stay updated on all 6th grade events, as well as helpful SOMS and district information, please sign up for the HSA email list. This will ensure that you receive the grade-specific emails we will be sending throughout the year. The link to sign up is: https://newsletter.somshsa.net/h/y/1035BE0D6A108397.
The events that we are working on for our 6th graders will come to life with your support. There will be numerous ways for you to participate, whether it be through volunteering your time or providing financial support via the HSA’s school-wide fundraising activities. An easy way to begin participating immediately is to sign up for the HSA’s Amazon.com shopping program – details available at https://somshsa.net/fundraisers.
Please be sure to check PowerSchool for class schedules if you have not already done so. We are pleased to be able to share the 6th grade team leader assignments below:
- Team 6A: Linda Abella, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Team 6B: Jennifer McClure, email@example.com
- Team 6C: Lauren Keegan, firstname.lastname@example.org
We hope that you are as excited as we are about the upcoming school year. We look forward to collaborating with all of you on creating memorable and enriching activities at SOMS for our 6th graders. Your support and involvement is what helps make SOMS great!
Your 6th Grade Coordinators
6th Grade FAQs
Click for answers to 6th Grade FAQs. (Please note that these are from the 2019-2020 school year, and will be updated as more information for 2020-2021 becomes available.)
Parent/Teacher Communication Steps
Please follow these steps of communication in middle school in this order if a problem should arise. By going through this process, we foster independence in your child as well as keep an open line of communication. Middle school differs from elementary school in that the students have multiple teachers and those teachers have around 100 students each. We designed these steps to best address the concerns of parents within our school system.
1. Follow PowerSchool and Google Classroom for information on grades/assignments.
2. For information on PowerSchool, access the PowerSchool Parent Portal Help link on the district website. You can find it here: https://www.somsd.k12.nj.us/district/information-technology/parentportalhelp/ (or by clicking Quick Links > Parents > PowerSchool Parent Portal Help).
3. Email your teacher if you have a question. (Contact information should have been distributed at back to school night).
4. Phone conversations can be arranged after an email or in place of a meeting if a common time cannot be found.
5. Team/teacher meetings (all teachers may not be able to be present due to schedules). Team leader emails are: Ms. Abella (Team A) email@example.com, Ms. Grant (Team B) firstname.lastname@example.org or Ms. McClure (Interim Team C leader) email@example.com