About the 2022-23
Hello 6th Grade Families,
Welcome to SOMS and the new (hopefully back-to-normal-ish) school year! We want to take a moment to introduce ourselves as your HSA 6th Grade Coordinators, and let you know a little bit about our role within the HSA. While our 6th graders are getting ready to begin middle school, we realize they’re not the only ones starting something new… and our role is to help YOU as you acclimate to SOMS as well
As you probably know, the HSA (Home/School Association) is the middle school’s version of the PTA. Our role is to work with the 6th Grade Teacher Team Leaders to help plan events, assist with field trips, send communications, and answer your questions (or at least know where to direct you!).
We’re in the process of brainstorming ideas for this year’s activities, but your kids can definitely count on a September ice cream social, a fall party (the “Monster Bash”) around Halloween, Field Day in the spring, and something else in between! We’re happy to explore any ideas you have – please feel free to reach out with input any time.
To stay updated on all 6th grade events, as well as helpful SOMS and district information, please sign up for the HSA email list. This will ensure that you receive the school-wide weekly e-Blast AND grade-specific emails from us throughout the year. The link to sign up is: https://newsletter.somshsa.net/h/y/1035BE0D6A108397 (and select 6th grade).
You must do this for each grade in which you have kids.
Our contact information is:
- Leslie Kerner – email@example.com
- Shana Lenochan – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ava Martin – email@example.com
We’re also pleased to share the 6th grade team leader assignments below:
- 6A – Linda Abella – firstname.lastname@example.org
- 6B – Jennifer McClure – email@example.com
- 6C– Lauren Keegan – firstname.lastname@example.org
We hope you’re as excited as we are about the upcoming school year. We look forward to collaborating with all of you on creating memorable and enriching activities at SOMS for our 6th graders. Your support and involvement is what helps make SOMS great!
Leslie, Shana, and Ava
6th Grade FAQs
Click for answers to 6th Grade FAQs.
Parent/Teacher Communication Steps
Please follow these steps of communication in middle school in this order if a problem should arise. By going through this process, we foster independence in your child as well as keep an open line of communication. Middle school differs from elementary school in that the students have multiple teachers and those teachers have around 100 students each. We designed these steps to best address the concerns of parents within our school system.
1. Follow PowerSchool and Google Classroom for information on grades/assignments.
2. For information on PowerSchool, access the PowerSchool Parent Portal Help link on the district website. You can find it here: https://www.somsd.k12.nj.us/district/information-technology/parentportalhelp/ (or by clicking Quick Links > Parents > PowerSchool Parent Portal Help).
3. Email your teacher if you have a question. (Contact information should have been distributed at back to school night).
4. Phone conversations can be arranged after an email or in place of a meeting if a common time cannot be found.
5. Team/teacher meetings (all teachers may not be able to be present due to schedules).