Welcome to the 2022-23 School Year!
Dear 7th Grade Parents,
Welcome to the 2022-2023 school year! As your SOMS HSA 7th Grade Coordination Team, we will
oversee the planning of this year’s 7th grade events. First up is the SOMS Ice Cream Social, which will be
held outside in the SOMS back parking lot on Friday, September 16th from 6:00 to 7:30 PM.
To stay updated on all 7th grade events, as well as receive helpful SOMS and district information, please
sign up for the HSA email list. This will ensure that you receive the grade-specific emails that we will be
sending throughout the year. The link to sign up is:
The events that we are working on for the 7th graders will come to life with your support. There will be
numerous ways for you to participate, whether it be through volunteering your time, donating
goods/services, or providing financial support via the HSA’s school-wide fundraising activities. An easy
way to begin participating immediately is to set the South Orange Middle School Home & School
Association as your Amazon Smile charity of choice.
We will also be collaborating with our amazing 7th grade team leaders to ensure that the students have
everything they need inside and out of the classrooms. Schedules are now available on PowerSchool, so
you can determine your child’s team by identifying which team leader is on their schedule.
We are looking forward to collaborating with all of you on creating memorable and enriching activities
for our 7th graders. If you have any ideas for new and fun events/activities, we welcome your
suggestions. Your support and involvement help make SOMS great!
Here are some helpful tips about questions we’ve been asked by families and/or staff members:
- Here’s a link to the SOMS HSA website: https://somshsa.net/
- If you haven’t signed up to receive weekly e-Blast newsletters, click HERE. These newsletters are sent every Monday and contain important news about SOMS happenings!
- There are also two SOMS Facebook pages:
- SOMS HSA – The official public Facebook page of the HSA. “Like” to follow and stay connected!
- SOMS Families (South Orange Middle School, NJ) – A closed group started by and run by parents in the school. The SOMS HSA often shares posts here, but this is not the official page. You can join to stay connected here too!
- If your child is going to be absent, you still need to contact the school, not just their homeroom teacher. You can also do this in two ways:
- Through PowerSchool by clicking “Student Absence Notification” under Attendance on the “Forms” page; or
- Call (973) 378-2772 and select option 1.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to any of us. We’re happy to help in any way we can!