Welcome to the 2021-2022 School Year!
Hello, 7th Grade families!
We are your HSA 7th Grade Coordinators, and would like to take a moment to introduce ourselves and let you know a little bit about our role within the SOMS HSA.
We’re fellow 7th grade parents, Jean Sim, Kristen Harris, and Delta Sepulveda, and we are excited to help you and your kids make this as enjoyable a school year as possible, given the ever-evolving situation we find ourselves in.
As you know, the HSA is the middle school’s version of the PTA. Our role is to work with the SOMS 7th Grade Team Leaders to help plan events/field trips (virtual or in-person), send communications, and answer your questions (or at least know where to direct you!). We are in the process of brainstorming ideas for this year’s activities and welcome any suggestions from you as well. Like you, we hope to keep our kids connected with one another and with the SOMS community. Our main goal is to facilitate some of the social/emotional experiences we know our kids are craving this year and have missed out on last year!
Our contact information is:
- Jean Sim – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kristen Harris – email@example.com
- Delta Sepulveda – firstname.lastname@example.org
The 7th Grade Team Leaders’ contact information is:
- Team A: Lynn McGlotten – email@example.com
- Team B: Nicole Chirlo – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Team C: Anthony Cicenia – email@example.com
7th Grade Events
While we have yet to meet with the 7th grade Team Leaders to finalize the major activities for the year, we have a few ideas brewing. We would also love to hear any and all ideas and suggestions from you, and especially given the uncertainties of the coming year we will need some creativity and flexibility. Details about activities will be sent close to the dates. Some ideas we’re tossing around:
- 7th & 8th Grade Ice Cream Social – on the calendar for Sept 17, 6pm
- Dance Party in the Fall
- Service project around Thanksgiving and/or in January to help students give back to the community, especially during this time when so many are in need.
- Local scavenger hunt (like we did in the 2020-21 school year).
- Field trips (still TBD but we are looking for interactive experiences).
- Other outdoor activities (field day, pool party, etc), if deemed safe in the spring.
Stay tuned for information, e-Blasts, and volunteer sign-ups. We can always use your help!
Jean, Kristen, and Delta
Here are some helpful tips about questions we’ve been asked by families and/or staff members:
- Here’s a link to the SOMS HSA website: https://somshsa.net/
- If you haven’t signed up to receive weekly e-Blast newsletters, click HERE. These newsletters are sent every Monday and contain important news about SOMS happenings!
- There are also two SOMS Facebook pages:
- SOMS HSA – The official public Facebook page of the HSA. “Like” to follow and stay connected!
- SOMS Families (South Orange Middle School, NJ) – A closed group started by and run by parents in the school. The SOMS HSA often shares posts here, but this is not the official page. You can join to stay connected here too!
- If your child is going to be absent, you still need to contact the school, not just their homeroom teacher. You can also do this in two ways:
- Through PowerSchool by clicking “Student Absence Notification” under Attendance on the “Forms” page; or
- Call (973) 378-2772 and select option 1.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to any of us. We’re happy to help in any way we can!