Welcome to the 2021-2022 School Year!
Hello, 8th Grade families!
Welcome to your child’s last year at SOMS (wow!). We’re your HSA 8th Grade Coordinators, and wanted to send a note as the year begins about some of the things we’re trying to do for our 8th graders this year to make it as special and memorable as possible.Our role is to work with the SOMS 8th Grade Team Leaders to help plan events/field trips (as possible within the evolving guidelines), graduation and related events, and mixers with MMS to get the kids ready for high school. We’ll also send communications and answer your questions, or at least figure out where to send you for answers! We have some ideas for Fall activities, which we’ll outline below, and we’re meeting with the Team Leaders soon to come up with others. Our main goal is to find ways to celebrate this last year at SOMS by providing opportunities for our kids to connect and have fun together as safely as possible.Our contact information is:
- Rhea Beck – email@example.com
- Jamie Ebright – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Leslie Kerner – email@example.com
The 8th Grade Team Leaders’ contact information is:
General SOMS/District Reminders
Here are some helpful tips about questions we’ve been asked by families and/or staff members:
- Link to the SOMS HSA website: https://somshsa.net/
- Register to receive weekly e-Blast newsletters! Simply click the gray “Sign Up” button under “Email Blasts” on the lower-left corner of the page.
- There are also two SOMS Facebook pages:
- SOMS HSA – The official public Facebook page of the HSA. Simply “Like” it to follow and stay connected!
- SOMS Families (South Orange Middle School, NJ) – A closed group started by and run by parents in the school. The SOMS HSA often shares posts here, but this is not the official page. You can join to stay connected here too!
- If you haven’t completed your district forms yet, you can do so on PowerSchool. Simply log on and go to “Forms” on the left navigation bar.
- If your child is going to be absent, you still need to contact the school, not just their homeroom teacher. You can do this in two ways:
- Through PowerSchool by clicking “Student Absence Notification” under Attendance on the “Forms” page; or
- Call (973) 378-2772 and select option 1.
8th Grade Events
There’s one event already planned for the fall, which is the 7th/8th Grade Ice Cream Social, on Friday, September 17th from 6:00-7:30pm at the SOMS back parking lot. Your kids can come get free ice cream and hang out with their friends!
Other events we’re considering include:
- Outdoor movie in the fall
- Fall/Halloween festival outdoors
- Grade-wide service project (likely around the December/January timeframe)
- SOMS/MMS social
- Spring pool party
- Graduation celebrations
If you have any other ideas for fun, safe events, please reach out and let us know! And stay tuned for information, e-Blasts, and volunteer sign-ups. We can always use your help!
Even though yearbooks don’t come out until spring, we need your help collecting photos throughout the year. Of course, the school is preparing for professional yearbook portraits (more info to come), but we all know that the candid shots and pictures with friends are the most fun!
Families can submit photos of events taking place over the course of the year—both school-related and not. Photos with friends/pets and photos of extracurricular activities are great too! Photos should only include kids that go to SOMS (no family photos – those can be included in an ad, if purchased). A recommended 3-5 photos per student can be submitted, but there is no guarantee that all photos submitted will be included in the yearbook. To make sure that all students are equally represented, a yearbook club consisting of students ensures that every student is represented in the yearbook as equally as possible.
Submit pictures for the SOMS Yearbook in the Google Folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-8XFJOFZU3o0TVGzZR-EGrtOOahjf-Ej
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to any of us. We’re happy to help in any way we can.
Thanks, and have a great year!