Welcome Letter from the HSA 2022-2023
Welcome 6th grade SOMS families!
Welcome back 7th and 8th grade SOMS families!
2022-23 is promising to be a year that brings us back to familiar milestones, which is a very good thing in the wake of unprecedented years during the COVID pandemic. We are so excited to engage the SOMS community as we all strive towards providing our middle school students a sense of stability and routine that allows them TO BE KIDS again.
- In keeping with tradition, the SOMS HSA will host a free, outdoor All-Grade Ice Cream Social in the SOMS back parking lot on Friday, September 16th. This community event is a perfect opportunity for new families to meet one another and for students to hang out with other students before the academic year fully begins.
- On Thursday, September 22, SOMS will have the first in-person Back-to-School Night since the fall of 2019! SOMS parents will have the opportunity to visit classrooms and meet their child’s/children’s teachers. Ms. Irby, the teachers and staff are working hard to make the night successful and smooth.
- Stay tuned for more information on these and future events.
General things to know about this school year:
- Masks are now optional for both students and teachers, except in cases of large indoor gatherings such as auditorium assemblies and concerts.
- Backpacks must be stored in lockers this year. Students are permitted to carry a drawstring bag to hold their chromebooks and other school items. We recommend having a protective sleeve for chromebooks.
- Supply your child with two locks, one for their main locker and one for their gym locker. Amazon and other retailers carry 2-pack combination locks, where both locks have the same combination code.
- For more information on school supplies, click on listed items below:
– SOMS 6th Grade Supply List 2022-23 School Year .pdf
– Supply List – 7th Grade 2022.pdf
– 8th Grade Supply List (2022-2023).pdf
– Related Arts_World Language Supply List 2022-23 School Year .pdf
Open Position on the SOMS HSA Board:
We are looking for a parent volunteer to be the Fall Fundraising Chair. If you are interested or know someone who would be, please let us know by emailing SOMSHSApres@gmail.com.
Stay connected and engaged in the following ways:
- Sign up for HSA email communication, and grade-level emails, so you don’t miss important information. Several HSA events are in the works for students, and you won’t want to miss them. (https://newsletter.somshsa.net/h/y/1035BE0D6A108397)
- Check out the SOMS HSA website (https://somshsa.net) for forms, main office phone contacts, staff or student directory, information on school spirit wear, event calendars, extracurricular programs, volunteering opportunities, the SOMS HSA board roster, etc.
- Follow our official SOMS HSA Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/SOMSHSA)
- If there are any talents you’d be willing to share with the community, we would love to utilize them! If there are any fundraising ideas you have, we want to hear them!
- If you have limited time but wish to contribute in some fashion, we welcome no frills donations. https://somshsa.net/donate/
We look forward to meeting you and to working together to make our community truly
SOMS STRONG. It’s for the kids. And we will have fun too, so let’s do this!
Polly Kelekis & Kathleen Hong
SOMS HSA Co-Presidents